Nearly one million Americans reside in assisted living communities, and the numbers are rising steadily. Why? There are many benefits of living in an assisted living facility. From quality of life to security to companionship, the advantages are numerous. If you or someone you care about is considering moving to assisted living in Houston, TX, consider Parkway Place’s assisted living facility. Reach out to Buckner Parkway Place today at 281.305.1846 to learn about the benefits of assisted living. Our assisted living for seniors is here to help you or your loved one live their best life.
Assisted Living FAQs
Understandably, there is a lot of concern and worry when a person needs more help in daily life. There’s a lot to think about and many questions to ask, and you only want the best for your loved one. Here are some answers to a few of the most common questions people have about assisted living.
1. What Is Assisted Living?
Assisted living is community living in a supported environment that encourages independence while offering amenities and assistance as needed.
2. How Is Assisted Living Different From a Nursing Home?
Whereas a skilled nursing facility, otherwise known as a nursing home, offers round-the-clock care for those who need medical support in a more hospital-like setting, assisted living promotes health and independence. Residents live in a home setting, whether in an apartment, suite, or room.
3. Who Is Assisted Living For?
Seniors who choose assisted living value their autonomy but struggle with some aspects of independent living, from loneliness to daily tasks and everything in between.
Your concerns and worries can be addressed by reaching out to the facilities that interest you and speaking to a staff member. You can receive information, book a tour, and relax a bit, knowing that places like Parkway Place exist to keep your senior loved ones safe, social, and active while maintaining a sense of independence. Most people find there are numerous tangible and intangible benefits of assisted living for seniors.
The Stigma of Assisted Living Facilities
It’s true that there is still a stigma about assisted living, but it shouldn’t be so. Assisted living facilities are not just for seniors who are ill or require custodial care. In fact, assisted living is becoming more and more popular as a lifestyle choice for older adults who want to take advantage of all the benefits that come with living in a supportive and stimulating environment.
It’s important to dispel the myths and look objectively at assisted living to see if it’s the right fit for you or your family member.
Benefits of an Assisted Living Facility
If you or your aging parent or other loved one is still living at home, but things are getting a bit difficult as time goes by, consider the advantages of moving to assisted living. Assisted living communities provide many benefits for their residents, such as:
- Less loneliness through social interaction – Community is fundamental to assisted living. Though each individual will choose at what level to become engaged, the risk of isolation and loneliness is very low amid the busy life of an assisted living residence.
- A healthy lifestyle – Access to balanced healthy meals helps support seniors’ immune systems and speeds up healing from injuries or surgery. Fresh air and exercise also provide a boost to the metabolism and improve strength and balance, reducing the risk of injuries.
- Fall prevention – Since falls are a top cause of ER visits among seniors, assisted living communities tend to be very thorough in their design and layout to minimize fall risks. Handrails, no-step showers, grab bars in bathrooms, and easily accessible call buttons for calling help are some of the modifications you can expect.
- Reduced stress dealing with the chores of daily life – At a certain point in life, many people do not want to be tied to a schedule of grocery shopping, cleaning, bill-paying, and the many other tasks that are largely included one way or another in your assisted lifestyle.
- Round-the-clock access to professional care and support – The community within assisted living includes professional staff who are on-site 24/7. If there is a problem, there is a full support network able to address whatever it is.
There are many things to keep in mind when determining the right fit for yourself or your senior loved one. The move into assisted living is a big transition for all involved. But it doesn’t have to be scary, worrisome, or stressful.
Learn More About Assisted Living at Parkway Place
If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of assisted living for seniors in Houston, reach out today. Our pet-friendly, luxury assisted living community offers many amenities and options for seniors with a range of needs and desires. Don’t wait. Call 281.305.1846 today or fill out our online form. We look forward to sharing the many benefits of assisted living for seniors at Parkway Place.