To feel your best as you age, you need to implement healthy habits into your life. A well-balanced diet is crucial for everyone, but seniors, in particular, have unique challenges that can be addressed through proper nutrition. Nutrition counseling for seniors can help you better handle your nutrient needs as you enter the later stages of life.
At Buckner Parkway Place, we realize the impact good nutrition can have on your quality of life during your senior years. Our nutrition counseling at Baptist Retirement is here to guide you through your dietary needs, so you can look and feel healthy and vibrant throughout your life. Reach out to us at 281.305.1846 to learn more about our nutrition counseling program as part of senior health and wellness.
Should You Try Nutrition Counseling for Seniors?
You may be wondering if nutrition counseling for seniors is right for you. After all, you may be following the same eating style you have had for many years and do not see the need to change it. However, it is crucial to think about how you feel at this point in your life.
Take a moment to ask yourselves:
- Do you have a medical condition?
- Do you have a mental health disorder?
- Are you physically active?
- Is your weight in the healthy range?
- How is your cognitive function?
- Are you able to think clearly and recall information?
- How are your energy levels?
- Do you have the energy to do the things you most enjoy in life?
Many people believe you should expect your health to decline as you age, but your diet can play a significant role in how you feel in your senior years. Proper nutrition may not necessarily help you reclaim your twenties, but it can certainly allow you to age gracefully and stay active.
The Importance of Customized Nutrition Advice for Seniors
The general advice on eating healthy can be very vague and somewhat confusing. As a senior, your nutrition needs will change, and foods that you believe to be good for you may not support your health at this stage. Getting customized nutrition advice for seniors from a nutrition counselor can help take the guesswork out of what to eat to help you feel your best.
Some of the nutritional needs of seniors include:
- Bone health declines as you age, so it is essential that you consume vitamins and minerals that support healthy bone breakdown and repair. Vitamin D, vitamin K2, and calcium are excellent for strong, healthy bones. Dark leafy greens and dairy products are good sources of these.
- The right nutrients can help support your cognitive health so you can preserve mental sharpness and memory. Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants like vitamins A, C, and E can all help care for your aging brain. You can fulfill these needs with fatty fish, flaxseed, and a wide range of fruits and vegetables.
- Energy levels may drop, and your susceptibility to depression or other mental health conditions can increase in your senior years. B vitamins are excellent supporters of vitality and a positive mood. Salmon, leafy greens, eggs, meat, and milk are all excellent sources of B vitamins.
- Dehydration is a significant concern for seniors as the thirst mechanism may become less sensitive. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and eating foods with a high water content like watermelon and cucumbers.
It is ideal to meet with a nutrition counselor to get the most personalized nutrition advice for seniors. These tips provide a good overview of the nutrients that most benefit seniors. However, your needs may vary based on medical conditions, mental health, and how active you are.
Get Healthy with Nutrition Counseling at Buckner Parkway Place
You deserve to enjoy a fun and active retirement lifestyle. Regardless of your current state of health, nutrition counseling for seniors can help you get the most out of senior living. C0ntact Buckner Parkway Place online or at 281.305.1846 to schedule a visit with a nutrition counselor who can support your health and wellness.